Friday, October 21, 2011

Fear of Poetry by C. Scott Hagler


In his latest blog post, C. Scott Hagler, director of 3rd Ave Arts and the Sacred Arts Festival talks about overcoming his fear of poetry. Scott attended my workshop last year and he speaks highly of the experience.

He says, "For as long as I can remember I have had a fear of poetry. Not reading poetry, mind you; only writing it. I’m not afraid of haiku, though; I think it presents more of a left-brain challenge that somehow short circuits the fear.

Imagine my surprise at discovering that there’s a word for the fear of poetry: metrophobia. Sounds like the fear of a big city. Or the subway, perhaps. According to Ask.com, Metrophobia, or the fear of poetry, is surprisingly common. Many people first develop this phobia in school, when overzealous teachers encourage them to rank poems according to artificial scales, break them down and search for esoteric meanings. Others simply feel that poetry is somehow “beyond” them, belonging only to the realm of the pretentious and highly educated...."

Read on about how Scott faced his phobia at his blog Arts Voice.

I am offering another workshop on the 2011 Sacred Arts Festival on Sunday, October 23 at 2:00 p.m. at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church, 910 E. 3rd Ave. in Durango. Learn more here.

No comments:

Featured Post

The Muse as She Whispers in My Ear

Here in the center of the world, I lean against warm adobe, let the Southwest sunshine sink through skin, into bones until all my cells are...

Popular Posts